Skip to main content

May is Comic Book Month

comicgeeks Okay, so last time I tried a theme month it didn’t exactly work out as I planned. Did I learn from that experience? Nope I did not, and I am trying it again. I am not exactly sure what I have in mind, which probably isn’t a good plan, but I am going for it anyway.

I want to explore all types of comics and other types of comics with speech ballons.  Wikipedia was kind enough to help me out with some definitions.

Manga - consist of comics and print cartoons, in the Japanese language and conforming to the style developed in Japan in the late 19th century.

Graphic Novel - a narrative work in which the story is conveyed to the reader using sequential art in either an experimental design or in a traditional comics format.

Comic Book - a magazine made up of narrative artwork, often accompanied by dialog (usually in word balloons, emblematic of the comic book artform) and often including brief descriptive prose.

I want to explore what it means to be a hero and the different formats that comics and manga. I am planning on comparing some graphic novels with their movies and maybe just do a comic movie review here and there.

To kick off my comic book month, today was FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! And I went to a semi-local comic book store and checked it out. Here is the comic book that I got for free.

2

Yep, Shrek has his own comic now. This is my 4 year old’s favorite movie series of all time! I decided to get this instead of something for me because, honestly, nothing for me really caught my eye!

Also, there were scary people dressed up in creepy things.  That may not be how you would classify it, but it’s how I do.

8com

There were scarier people than this but my hands were shaking too hard to get a clear picture.

Oh, and one final note, check out this awesome video promoting free comic book day! But, by the way, you missed it already.

Comments

  1. Love that Milo! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also web comics that are later published as books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment