Skip to main content

Reading Slumps and Author Events

It happened again.

I am in the middle of yet another reading slump, this one came out of the middle of nowhere. I was reading a lot and enjoying the things I was working on and then BAM, no more interest in books anymore. It has been this way for about a month.

One of the best and easiest ways for me to get out of slump is prepping for an author event. Whether the event is in the store or outside of it, I like to have a connection with authors I will meeting. This past week had a lot of author meeting in it. And these authors have written some pretty enticing titles.

But no.

No reading inspiration was found.

I am still hopelessly slumped. I blame two people for this. Jessica Arnold and Joelle Charbonneau.

Jessica Arnold ruins my life with a good book.
Joelle's dystopian series ruined me for others.




















I like how a random internet search found them both pictured in a woody park, plotting against me. Not only do they give good plot, but they also give amazing hair.

Side note, Saturday night went to bed with purple hair, Sunday morning, woke up, showered, and no longer had purple hair. I knew the purple would fade but I was hoping it would last a few more washes than it did.
Me! With hair you can barely tell is purple.
The Looking Glass by Jessica Arnold is one of my favorite books that I have read in 2014. It may still be too early to call it, but I always think that I will have plenty of time to read as the year winds down and the holidays start happening and I never find time. I also really enjoyed Joelle's trilogy more than I have enjoyed any series in a really really really really long time. I really don't enjoy second books in a series, but Independent Study held up well on its own while still being a relevant part of the overarching story. One of the things that I liked the most about about Joelle's storytelling is anytime I thought she was going left, she would zag right and sometimes breaking my heart in the process.

Then sometimes you are working on a blog post and this songs comes out and dancing happens more than working through my writing block.

Yep, I am feeling a little bit of writing blocked as well as reading blocked. I set a goal to work on the blog more and I have horribly failed. I have been able to use the blog as a resource to remember and timeline past events. And I want to make sure I still have these records throughout my bookselling career as well. Time and energy are always factor. Attention might also be a factor.

One of the decisions I made when I bought the bookstore was that I would go to 4 events a year in lieu of more traditional pay. Every year I go to LTUE in February and the Vegas Valley Book Festival in the fall. It is really fun to go to the same events every year and see different authors, and the same authors, and fans, bloggers, friends. Every year is a chance to both renew old connections and make new ones.


Comments