Skip to main content

Booking Through Thursday: Literature


Photobucket
  • When somebody mentions “literature,” what’s the first thing you think of? (Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare?)
  • Do you read “literature” (however you define it) for pleasure? Or is it something that you read only when you must?
When I think of literature one name immediately pops into my head, Nabokov.

“Literature and butterflies are the two sweetest passions known to man.”


Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketI love to read all kinds of books including literature for pleasure. I am surrounded by piles and piles and piles of books and I just pick one up and then another and just see what grabs my interest. If it is a romance novel or a classic or whatever grabs me that is what I read next. I have this very strong feeling that you read books when you are meant to read them. I picked up Pride and Prejudice many times before I actually read it for the first time and fell in love with it.

I love to read literature when I am forced to read it as well, especially when I am able to discuss it with others during the process. Many times a book that has no meaning to you begins to bloom and blossom before you as others share their experience about it or you learn the back story.

Oh, and Nabokov isn't the only name that comes to mind when I think about literature, it is just the first name.

Comments

  1. I love to read all kinds of books too. Different books appeal to me at different times, and sometimes I may not connect with a book one year, but the next it will become my absolute favorite.

    I am glad you enjoyed Pride and Prejudice. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a great deal of truth in the idea that you read a book when the time is right. I've certainly had that experience. I think you also move on from a book. There are a number of titles that I loved at a certain period of my life but which I find very difficult now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so maybe there is hope I'll love Pride and Prejudice yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment